Question

Cannot create snapshot of Azure VM with Premium SSD V2 disks

• 29 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +5

If I add a “Premium SSD V2” disk to an existing Azure VM (or during creation of a new VM), backup fails with error message “Unable to create a virtual machine snapshot of [CL3]. [One or more errors occured]. Please check the virtual machine snapshot tree”.

networkaccessAccessPolicy is “AllowAll”, publickNetworkAccess is “Enabled”. There is no problem with “Premimum SSD” disks.

First I’d like to ask, if this type of disk is generally supported by Commvault backup. I can send a full log of the backup job.

Commvault V2023E.

Thank you

Jiri.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

This question was raised some time ago already, but unfortunately no clear answer yet….

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Damian Andre another customer asking if and/or when Premium SSD V2 disks are going to be supported. Can you get this information from PM? Noticed Azure Backup already added support (in preview) for it. 

Badge

@Onno van den Berg - We are working with Microsoft to support this feature as it becomes available.  There are a few phases as it is not a single switch that suddenly supports every application in Azure on every function.  As they release to GA, we will then try to incorporate them into our next public feature release.  These cycles are all on track so far.

Thanks,

Kris Stubsten

Senior Product Manager

Azure Virtualization

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Kris Stubsten I understand what your saying, however this Azure capability reached GA almost a year ago already → see link.

Badge

That part is true, but we needed the API to reflect the ability to pull incremental snapshots for it to be useful for backups beyond just an archival mechanism.  Like I said, there are many phases to its rollout.  This functionality has only recently been introduced by Microsoft, but the timing did not align with our latest feature release.

Public preview: Incremental snapshots for Ultra Disk Storage | Azure updates | Microsoft Azure

Thanks,

Kris

Badge +5

Hello,

thanks for quick answer.

Jiri.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Is here an update when Premium V2  and in what version this will be supported?

Thx a lot and greets

Marcel

Badge +1

Is there any update to our support for Premium V2 SSD? I also have a customer asking.