Solved

How to set VM filters via CLI for Backupset or Subclient

• 24 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello All.  We have 4700 VMs with a couple dozen backups sets where I need to exclude VMs that don't require a backup.  e.g. AD, DNS, VDI, etc.  I know I can manually open each backupset and create a VM Filter, but I'm thinking there's a better way.

It would be great to have a "global filter" for VMs similar to WinFS and LinuxFS clients.
Is there a way to utilize PowerShell or CV CLI?

Or is there some other way I’m not thinking and I’m making this harder than it needs to be?

Thanks!
Dan

PS after typing this I'm thinking I should have less backupsets…  but still interested in your thoughts.  :)

icon

Best answer by Rajiv 25 October 2023, 05:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @dgzagm4q4cv 

Could you please check this document and let me know if it helps? https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/32408_defining_filters_for_backup_set_vmware_command_line.html

Note: Please test it once on non production client before running directly on production sub client/backup set. 

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +1

Thank you.  This is good stuff.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @dgzagm4q4cv 

maybe it is also possible for you to use VM Tags in the vCenter (in case of Vmware) and filter VMs with this Tag assigned.
That can help in case of a certain dynamic on the VM side and avoids updating you (backupset) filters every time VMs are deleted or new VMs have to be added

rgds
Klaus