Solved

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BACKUP JUST VM DISK WITHOUT THE WHOLE VM

Badge +7

Please am face with this issue were a vm is about 23TB and the DB is current backup as database level

Now my question here now is mgmt ask that even the vm must be backup what do i do now.

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 6 May 2022, 17:41

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

When you post here the best favor you can do yourself is to post as many details as you have.

there are plenty of smart people here willing to help, but you have to help us help you.

post as many details as you can about the current configuration.

post as many details as you can about the current problems you are facing.

Take your time. 

Noone can answer this question definitively without more details.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

YOU CAN FILTER DISKS FROM THE BACKUP, BUT THE HYPERVISOR WILL STILL TAKE A SNAPSHOT OF THE ENTIRE MACHINE

Badge +7

Thank you guys. The question here is my vm is currently like 23 TB and is been backup as DB level now mgmt said it must still be back as vm.

Question: Can I back the vm disk? without allowing the backing all the 23TB, which will cause the snapshot to take longer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The snapshot is handled by the hypervisor, so it’s going to be the whole thing. CommVault filters the disk after the snapshot has been taken.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

If you are on an array you can configure intellisnap. This will cause the snapshot to be held for a minimal amount of  time. This is why we need more details.

my guess is that the snapshot is held too long while moving the snapshot to storage. Intellisnap will remove that specific issue, but since I dont know what your actual issue is or your underlying storage im just guessing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Actually @Aplynx may have hit the nail on the head, 

If you are doing agent based VM backups, I’m not sure why you would backup snapshot the volumes themselves.

These goals seems like they are at cross-purposes.

Badge +7

Thank you guys i try the disk filter is still taken longer to complete. This is over 24 hours and is still at 60%.

as of the intelisnap it would have been good ideal but the Vmare dpmt refuse and right now the pressure from my Big boss is tense.