Question

Linux proxy for Xenserver

• 11 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

we have to backup a large number of VM on Xenserver.

I created Windows proxy and added it as access node. i was able to backup windows & linux Vm with this.

but when I went for Guest file level restore then it was asking for FREL enable ( for both Linux & Windows)

Then i added another VM in same host with linux os and enabled it for FREL with media agent role and then Guest level restore worked for both.

Now, I want to use only Linux VM as proxy and want to get rid of Windows at all, Can i do this?

I do not see any option to add non-widows Proxy as access node in xen pseudo  client in commvault.

Does it means , i will have to keep one windows VM as proxy for backup & one linux VM for FREL? it would be great wastage  of resources . please confirm and suggest any workaround.

3 replies

Badge +1

8 views and no response? i thought community is more faster

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@saumitra.tech ,

You can use your Linux machine as access node if you don’t want to keep extra nodes.

That FREL will act as access nodes for all restore purpose. 

A File Recovery Enabler for Linux (FREL) acts as a Media Agent to write Linux file system backup data to storage, or to read backup data from storage. 

For windows VM recovery you can select manually CS from advance option for browsing the contents and it will act as MA for mounting disks for time being. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@saumitra.tech 

Any update on this, have you tried to change the proxy to Linux and did it worked ?