Skip to main content
Solved

Media Agent Migration in Hyperscale.

• 27 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Dear Team,

I have three node Hyperscale cluster. Comcell server is outside hyperscale running inside a Windows VM. version 11.24 At present we are backing up 50 vmware VM clients and few SQL clients. We are procuring a large capacity Hyperscale to add another new 600 Virtual machines to get backed up. I want to move the exisiting SQL clients and 50 vms to new hyperscale. What is the best approach , setup a new comcell and configure everything like storage policies Dedupe and new VSA servers or add the new Hyperscale machines as new setup of media agents and configure backups? Please advise

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello Jamshid,

Thanks for the great question, first things first you need to upgrade to FR32 or 36. Dev wont write code for 24 and if you hit any major issues they will tell you to upgrade first.

The way your question is worded it implies you are going to replace your Commserv server but if you are just adding a new HS cluster this should be not needed. 

If you add the HS cluster as a storage pool you can make new SP targeting this storage pool and then perform the mass migration that is built into the Storage policy settings. 

I also note it is a extra learning curve but i would recommend taking advantage of the fact you are starting on new Storage policies and instead make them into plans and do it through the Command Center. This is a job that will be forced on you sometime so better to do it now.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +1

Hello Albert,

Thanks for your response. Appreciate that.

I think I need to consider the VSA server capacity also when adding another big number or VMs.

Regards

Jamshid