Skip to main content
Solved

No applications were found that are eligible for Application Aware backup.Treating this as a success.

• 5 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

Trying to perform a Application Aware backup of a virtual server that is running a SQL instance.

Already installed the commvault agent with the following options:

• FileSystem
  • FileSystem Core
  • SQL Server

when running a VM level backup with the option Application Aware selected, the job shows the following message:

No applications were found that are eligible for Application Aware backup.Treating this as a success.

Can anyone help sort this out?

thanks

Happy to help!

It’s most likely either a connection issue, or the guest credentials are not right (there are other, rarer issues as well such as the SQL server not having any databases).

Can you check the following?

Those logs should give us a solid idea of what is happening.

Hi @Mike Struening 

Thanks for your inputs.

Credentials ok, verified and reentered.

No firewall between guest, proxy and commserve

Logs won't show anything related with this behaviour.

Happy to help!

It’s most likely either a connection issue, or the guest credentials are not right (there are other, rarer issues as well such as the SQL server not having any databases).

Can you check the following?

Those logs should give us a solid idea of what is happening.

Very bizarre…..those 2 are the vast majority of causes for this error.

I would suggest opening a support case then.  The ‘other’ causes I see in our incident history are all VERY specific, unique, and not easily discovered.

ps Please share the case number here so we can track it accordingly.

Hi @Mike Struening ,

I’ve managed to sort this out, I’ve installed the agents manually on the vms, it looks like commvault needs an additional setting in order to make this work this way.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.21/essential/106252_reconfiguration_for_vms_that_already_use_application_agents.html

“To include virtual machines that were previously configured for application backup using an application agent such as the SQL Server agent, ensure that the following requirements are met for the application:

• For the default subclient of the application, select Virtual Server Application Snap as the snapshot engine.

• Specify the same server plan for the application subclient and the VSA subclient.

The application-aware workflow automatically makes these changes for existing application clients.”

Regards

Very bizarre…..those 2 are the vast majority of causes for this error.

I would suggest opening a support case then.  The ‘other’ causes I see in our incident history are all VERY specific, unique, and not easily discovered.

ps Please share the case number here so we can track it accordingly.

Glad to hear it.  Thanks for updating us!!