Solved

No Space in the storage to take VMware VMs backup

• 21 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi 

I have 2 vmware hosts connected to storage 25 TB ,the storage is almost full ,

When I try to backup vms , the backup fail since there is no space to take snapshot 

If I shut down the VMs , I will be able to take backup immediately or not 

Or any advice ? 

icon

Best answer by Ledoesp 23 March 2022, 14:31

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @MoSALAH,

The backup is likely failing due to the Datastore Free Space Check here. - The default threshold is 10%, so that would be 2.5TB.

This value can be reduced as necessary See the documentation here: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/32242_setting_datastore_free_space_threshold_for_vmware.html

I’d suggest not setting it too low, since we don’t want to fill the DS with Snapshots here. 

Powering off some VM’s isn’t ideal (and really shouldn’t be necessary). Depending on the rate of change for each VM here, powering-off some of the VM’s might not (or might) help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +1

Thanks Michael 

Now i have one VM total capacity 20 TB ,

it have 4 drive , one for OS and the other drive E ,F, D, are for saving data ,

all these drives  (except OS drive ) in two other datastores which they are 19.5 TB

Now , I need to backup this VM without other drive (ie : without 19.5 TB) , i will backup them using file system) , so i do a filter for these disks , to take only 500 GB , but the backup fails state that there is no space in datastore which contains these disks 

So could you advise how to take a backup for this VM OS drive only ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

There are some actions you can do, disable the DataStore Free Space Check is the first one here.