Question

RDM disks. File server & SQL server agents installed on same VM.

• 24 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

We have a couple of servers which utilize RDM disks in VMWAre. These servers can’t have snapshots taken (as per errors in CV) because of these disks, even with disk filters applied.

These servers are SQL servers, we need to protect the SQL data via the agent as per standard. We also need to protect the OS & D drive for ease of restoring these VMs. Based on the fact we can’t take snapshots, I need to protect the VM via the file server agent too.

I attempted to install the file server agents over the SQL agents but it removed the SQL agent and put the file server agent in place instead.

Is there a ways to leverage SQL & File Server agents at the same time?

Thanks in advance

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @EdwOli 

That doesn’t sound right.. you can definitely leverage both agents on the one machine (you’d exclude the SQL Data/Log paths from the file system). The majority of the file system binaries are installed when the SQL agent is installed anyway… 

What happens if you try to re-install the SQL agent? I’d expect it to fail saying it’s already installed… unless it was uninstalled as part of the file system installation as you’ve stated… at which point if that’s the case, please raise a case for support to investigate and find root cause as that’s not expected behaviour. 

Regards,

Chris