Question

Restoring Incremental backup

• 21 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

i would like to know how the restore works , considering i have a full backup on weekend like Saturday and then daily incremental . now i want restore from last Wednesday , how the restoration works ?

system go for the last full backup and then check the incrementals then convert it as a full backup and restore , or do we need to do it manually ??

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Ajal ,

You can restore the Full or Incremental or both.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/12893_browse_and_restore_data_advanced.html

It depends if you Browse & Restore at Backupset/Subclient/Job Level.

You can also Browse and Restore and select Time Range.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Sebastien Merluzzi  thanks , but i would like to understand the process happening in the background , 

considering i have a full backup on weekend like Saturday and then daily incremental 

suppose if one of my VM crashed on Wednesday.i wanted to restore my full vm with possible latest backup 

in this case if i browse and select Tuesday or the latest backup what happens in the background, since on tuesday i only have incremental , does commvault combine all the incremental from last full and then restore ?   

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yes, it will restore the cycle(s) and take the full + inc.

In the doc link I sent you:

Follow the steps given below to browse the data backed up before specified time.

This will display data from all cycles that fall under the specified time range.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @Ajal 

Restoring an incremental backup from Tuesday or the latest backup, will include associated FULL and any number of incremental backups in that cycle.

For Example: Selecting latest incremental on cycle with 1 FULL and 6 incremental, it will restore all the data from the FULL till latest incremental.

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Hemanth  ok so if i went to an increment job and restore it , it will only restore the incremental job right