Solved

Using Commvault VMWare Appliance to Install Commvault

• 6 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I’m new to the Commvault world and tasked with researching, installing and configuring Commvault in our environment.   My aim is to gather as much information as possible prior to installing Commvault.   I’m currently taking an intro to Commvault course, but it appears this is a very complex piece of software.   My question is:   would it be prudent to deploy a VMware VM with the Commvault software pre-Installed by using the Commvault OVA (not HYPERSCALE X)?   Does anyone have experience using the appliance to get Commvault up and running in your environment?   If so, are there any “gotchas” I should be concerned about?   Any downside with updates to the appliance (e.g. new patches) or any other potential issues?   Any information is greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Javier 7 March 2024, 15:56

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

There are 3 major components;

• CommServer (aka CS): This is the orchestrator of everything. It command all operations.
  • MediaAgent (aka MA): They are in charge of dealing with the data, moving it to the libraries, ensuring deduplciation and consistency...most data operations
  • Clients: The computers you are backing up.

Those are just logical components, so you can deploy them within the same physical hardware, but for a production environment they will need a quite powerful server, that is why they are normally deployed separately, but for a lab/test environment you may deploy a CS and MA within the same server for example.

There is nothing wrong using the OVA to get the CS deployed, as far as I know it will just be a Windows OS with the CS preinstalled.

You could alternatively follow documentation to deploy the componenets = https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/installations.html

As previously said, you could have your CS and MA within the same server for testing.

Badge +1

Javier,

Thanks for responding and I will read through all the documents you supplied in the link.  I won’t be using the OVA because when I installed it in my home lab it create a Windows 2016 VM.   We are only installing Windows 2022 in our environment.   Consequently, I will go with the distributed installation.   Thanks again.