Solved

Virtual Server Backup

• 12 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Guys, good morning.
I am starting to create the Backup Virtual Server in my Commvault environment.
I always backed up my virtual servers using the FileSystem Agent.

My question:
By deploying a backup routine with "Virtual Server" on my virtual servers, I can
continue backing up with "FileSystem" agent, is it a good practice? or it is not necessary to back up with the FileSystem agent, as I will now deploy a virtual server backup area.

-------

Pessoal, bom dia.
Estou iniciando a criação do Virtual Server Backup em meu ambiente Commvault.
Sempre fiz os backups dos meus servidores virtuais utilizando o Agent de FileSystem.

Minha dúvida:
Ao implantar uma  rotina de backup com "Virtual Server" nos meus servidores virtuais, posso
continuar fazer backup com o agent de "FileSystem", é uma boa prática? ou não é mas necessário fazer backup com agent FileSystem, já que agora vou implantar uma área para backup de Virtual Server.

icon

Best answer by dude 12 July 2021, 18:24

View original

5 replies

Badge +15

@Rafael Santos 

For best performance and better results I prefer to use the VSA for VM Backups and Restores and “Occasionally” if I really need to restore something small or just a few files, I then use the File Restore from VSA Agent.

However, if restoring large files and or even frequent restores from a file level, I would encourage you to have a File System Agent for best performance and results.

And just for the record, you can have both agents installed and no issues with that. 

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Badge +1

@Rafael Santos It certainly is possible to use both the VSA and the File System Agent on the same client/server. In most cases, it would be redundant though as you are backing up a lot of the same data. From my experience, for a larger server (some say rule of thumb is > 1 TB, others 500 GB, depends on various factors), is to use the File System Agent as a Browse for a Restore will tend to be faster. For a smaller VM (less than 1 TB, 500 GB, again it depends), it is best to use the VSA and you can restore individual files and folders relatively quickly browsing the VM. 

There are various factors at play here, so it is best to do some testing within your environment as well - ie test throughput and browse times using the File System and Virtual agent on the same server. Another consideration is licensing cost, as that differs as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Rafael Santos I will suggest to use virtual server agent backup for any VMs that you are trying to protect.

for any reason if you are having issues or non supported configuration like independent disk then only those servers you can backup using file system agent.

Badge +1
Thanks guys, for the answers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Thanks guys, for the answers.

If it helps, there is a really good video here that explains some of the caveats and best practices with file restores.