Solved

VM backup failed - VM is not in a connected state

• 9 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi there!

I would like to discuss the following backup job issue. There are some VMs, that failed to be backed up due to the failure reason - VM is not in a connected state. In fact, these VMs are powered off in the vcenter. I was looking for how to cope with this type of issue, but I didnt find any relevant resources.

So, my question is how to deal with this situation. The VMs should be powered off, but backups should be running as usual. Is there any workaround in the CV?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 9 March 2022, 19:37

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@drPhil , are you looking at how to handle powered off vms, or how to ensure the vm gets backed up on the next round?

For the latter, this option to Backup Failed VMs should help:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/94778_backing_up_failed_virtual_machines.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening, I am sorry for a later reply due to overwhelming with other incidents. To be honest, I was digging through the documentation and try to find something relevant to the already mentioned failure reason:

VM is not in a connected state - what does it mean?

In the vcenter I see for this VM following alert

Thus, I assume, if the VM is not in a connected state, there could be something wrong with network adapter settings within the vcenter. It sounds quite intelligently, doesnt it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@drPhil That can absolutely be the case.

Some other causes:

• The datastores are inaccessible
  • The ESX host is non-responsive or not licensed properly.
  • VM is not on the VM network