Skip to main content

Hi All,

Is it possible to configure a VMware Access Node (deployed using the Open Virtual Appliance (OVA) template supplied by Commvault) as a Kubernetes Access Node?

Is it possible to use it alternatively as a VMware Access Node and as a Kubernetes Access Node?

I note that OVA “Access Node and MediaAgent 2024E” provides Oracle Linux Server release 9.4: 5.15.0-208.159.3.el9uek.x86_64. And that system requirements for Kubernetes Access Node require Oracle Linux 8.6, but I imagine this is a minimum value required…

Thanks in advance for any explanation!

Regards,

Luc

Hi Luc,

Thank you for posting this.
There are some nuances to your query so I’ll try address each point directly.

• A VSA access node deployed from an OVA can be used for Kubernetes
  • The OVA should be on a supported version of Oracle Enterprise Linux. There is currently nothing official for OEL9.4 currently. It may work but Commvault cannot guarantee full functionality.
  • As access nodes leverage many of the same binaries problems using it for multiple platforms can be problematic. As long as you make sure operations don’t collide you should not face any issues but it is something to be concious of.
  • The OVA for Commvault 11.24 on the cloud store uses OEL8.4, if you are set on leveraging this method for protecting your Kubernetes platform you can use this OVA and upgrade.

I have also raised a request with our documentation team to confirm OEL supported versions just in case this was an oversight when updating requirements.

Cheers,

@luhenn yes, you can do this! We have access nodes protecting both VMware and Kubernetes as the same time who are based on the FREL OVA image without problems.