Solved

VMWare VMDK files scheduled restore

• 4 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi Community,
In addition to the normal CV backup, I have the challenge of backing up the "virtual machine files" (*.vmdk, *.vmx, ...) on a stand-alone NAS, in an independent Commvault format.
My idea was to restore existing backups via a dedicated proxy on which the NAS NFS shares are also mounted.
Manually, via CommmandCenter, this works fine, but I would like to schedule it periodically with a monthly backup/restore procedure.
Do any of you already have experience of how this could work?

I would be happy about any answer ….

icon

Best answer by Hemanth 5 December 2023, 14:51

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @ohajek,

Thank you for reaching us out here.

Are you looking on how to schedule backup and restore? If yes, you can refer to the following Doc: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/6740_schedule_policies_scheduling_backup_restore_and_other_jobs.html​​​​​​​

Badge +1

Thank you Hemanth,
I would have already found it for "File System" restores, but not for "Virtual Server" -> "VMInstance"!
In the Commcell Console I only have the two options:
"Full Virtual Machine" Restore, which restores me a VM in an existing ESX Server or
"Guest Files and Folders", which restores files and directories within a VM.

I would not have found the option to restore only the bare VMDK files from the Commcell Console. From the CommandCenter I am able to restore the VMDK files from VM Instance Backup, but cannot schedule it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @ohajek,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay.

I checked in the Lab and we can indeed restore Virtual machine files

And to restore the schedule, perform the following

Schedule Restores

Use the steps given below to schedule a restore job for a backup set or an instance. You can use similar steps to schedule a restore job for a subclient.

1. From the CommCell Browser, go to Client Computers > client > agent.

2. Right-click a backup_set or instance and click All Tasks > Browse and Restore.

The Browse and Restore Options dialog box appears.

3. Click View Content.

4. Select the data to restore and click Recover All Selected.

The Restore Options dialog box appears.

5. On the Job Initiation tab, click Schedule and then click Configure.

The Schedule Details dialog box appears.

6. Select the appropriate scheduling options.

For example, click Weekly and select which days you want to run the restore job.

For information on the scheduling options, see Scheduling - Online Help.

7. Click OK.

The restore job will run as scheduled.

Refer to the following Doc: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/6646_scheduling_advanced.html

Badge +1

Hello Hemanth,

thank you very much for your reply and also the solution!

I was looking on the VM itself for the restore and not on the Hypervisors Browse&Restore Options. 

Have a nice day!