Skip to main content

Hi.

I have trouble with some new vm’s with sql installed which we backup using intellisnap feature. normaly this works automatically commvault detects the databases and take fullbackup and creates logbackups aswell. not on those though the vsa says it cant find any application and moves on. when i login to the vm’s i notice that there are lots of instances of commvault client linstalled looks like it installs a new one each time backup is running. i have double checked that the commvault account has access to the databases. there ar other vm’s with sql installed on the same datastore as those that works fine.

any input is much appreciated.

Hello J_R,

do I assume correctly, that by automatic configuration you mean Commvault App-Aware SQL Backup? So you just add a new machine with fresh SQL installation to the VSA subclient, run a backup job and then expected result is for SQL application to be discovered as part of VSA job and instances protected?

If so, then first thing I’d suggest to double-check is permissions on OS level - you mentioned you checked DB access (sysadmin, right?), Commvault also requires local OS admin rights on the source VM for proper agent deployment:

App-Aware SQL and OS permissions

Would you also be so kind to share:

• Commvault version you're using (Feature and maintenance release)
  • SQL Server version
  • Hypervisor details - VMware, Azure, Hyper-V?
  • Any noticeable errors in the VSA backup job log?

Best Regards,

Marcin

Hi thx for the answer @Marcin Dziewanowski .

yes thats correct.

as i mentioned the permissions looks corrcet i have logged into management studio and verified the sql permissions myself.

we are running commvault sp20.77

these wm’s are running windows server 2019 with sql 2019

hypervisor is vmware with vSphere 6.7.0.51000

storage array netapp

log output

No applications were found that are eligible for Application Aware backup.<Output>
Job 6413494 is killed. Possible Reasons: 1. Client-Machine needed Reboot 2. Install Updates/Install Software took longer than expected
<DiscoveredClient></DiscoveredClient><errs>
</errs>
</Output>

there are no pending reboot on the vm’s

also wondering why it installs a new instance of the klient each time backup job runs

/regards Jorgen

Hello Jorgen,

thanks for providing those additional details and for the screenshot. For me this looks like a support case candidate - I’d recommend you to open one if you can. The only time I encountered AppAware workflow installing several instances of Commvault software on same client machine was when there was mismatch between client name and host name - support could help you out in checking if that’s what we experience here, removing the unnecessary Instances and check Commserve configuration for multiple instances and merge them.

I’d also recommend checking install.log in Commvault base folder on the SQL Client machine for any installation errors → like 3rd party component installation failures for example.

Best Regards,

Marcin

Were you able to determine the source of the problem?
I recently encountered an issue with App-Aware SQL backups (not completely  identical to yours) and was curious as to what the issue was.

My Question below:

Looks like the solution based on the incident was to remove the client from a Server group (whoch had fw rules attached).