Solved

Warning Snapshot creation exceeded threshold

• 19 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I get this warning message for one of our VMware VMs.  Not getting any specific hits while searching this.  I think this may be a VSS issue but am not sure where else to go with this.  There is no Commvault agent on this VM.  VSS is configured to unlimited.

Any hints would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by jego 19 July 2022, 21:03

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Application quiescing tasks VMware to take a quiesced snapshot. To do this VMware Tools engages the VSS writers during the backup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Seems to be a VM resource issue preventing vss to finish in time.

How many of each resource has been assigned to the VM?

CPU:

Memory:

Disk space:

And on what type of disk is the VM hosted?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

CPU: 2

Memory: 4 GB

Disk space: 80 GB

And on what type of disk is the VM hosted? NFS on NetApp

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As we are talking about vss I assume this is windows and enough free space is available to facilitate the vss process

2 CPU is very tight on CPU resources, memory depends on what is running on it / what the VM is used for. I would personally start with 2 additional CPU and try the backup again. If not ok raise the memory to 6 or 8.

If this doesn't help I am afraid a review of Windows events is needed to see what's holding up vss processing 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I started with the disk space first.  I found some old shadow copies from 2018 taking up 41 GB of space,  out of 80 GB, that seems to be a possible culprit.  I deleted them.  Then I will try your recommendations.  I will update the chat after.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

O yep that could definitely be an issue 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Old shadow copies were indeed the cause.