Question

Application-Aware Backup Strategies for ActiveMQ & Hazelcast

• 11 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hello Commvault Experts,

I'm dealing with a time synchronization issue in our setup where Hazelcast is missing its 5-second heartbeats, presumably due to 30-second time leaps during our backup snapshots. This results in dropped connections and servers hanging, a problem that emerged suddenly.

We suspect that Commvault snapshot operations might be causing this. Would application-aware backups be the right approach to prevent such disruptions, especially for time-sensitive applications like Hazelcast and ActiveMQ? If so, what specific application-aware backup configurations does Commvault support for these applications?

Any insights on strategies to maintain operational integrity during backups would be highly valuable.

Thanks for your help.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Do you create VM-level backups? If so, than you might be seeing issues due to quiescing. Can you leverage IntelliSnap?

Badge +4

Thanks for the suggestion @Onno van den Berg !

We create VM-level backups, which has been paused due to the ongoing issues?

We're a bit cautious with Intellisnap though – our NetApp HCI platform has been buggy, and it’s phasing out soon. We're actually planning to switch platforms in a year, so we're trying to avoid new complexities by introducing it.

It’s weird, these app issues just started, even with our usual quiescent snaps enabled earlier. We're thinking about switching to application-aware backups, but I'm pretty new to this area. Any advice on what type of app-aware backup might work best here?

Also wont Intellisnap create native snaps too in it’s workflow?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Nik  I do not think application aware backups are going to change anything in this scenario. Appaware backups are for specific applications and listed here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/106406_application_support_for_hypervisors.html#supported-application-versions

Do these applications have a guide or best practice with backups?

Thanks