Log4j Vulnerability - Please Post All Questions Here

Show first post

344 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi All,

I can see 11.26.8 MR has been released on 1FEB does this release will clear all Log4J1.x  ? 

Yup!!

Badge

This is the gift that keeps on giving - https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-23307

Will Commvault track this one in this same space or keep chainsaw separate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@EN-US , we should be ok here:

Current Description

CVE-2020-9493 identified a deserialization issue that was present in Apache Chainsaw. Prior to Chainsaw V2.0 Chainsaw was a component of Apache Log4j 1.2.x where the same issue exists.

The recent Maintenance release upgraded all the 1.2 to 2.17.x

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I would like to make you all aware of a new KB article that addresses the potential presence of Log4j v1 files in Microsoft SQL Server 2019 that is deployed in new CV installs (or if you have upgraded the MS SQL to 2019).  The article can be found here: Log4j Files in Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Installations.  These files are not used by CV software so do not represent an active vulnerability, but if you are using file scanning to detect Log4j they may generate alerts. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello team,

Just want to follow up on Log4J 1.X ‘False Alarms’

We’re on V11/SP24.29 - 3rd party tool ran and found ‘Apache Log4j 1.x Multiple Vulnerabilities; Apache Log4j Unsupported Version Detection ’ in the Commserve and proxies

CV Q&A stating “ Commvault do plan to remove all 1.x references in the Feb 1st maintenance release to prevent “false alarms”.

the hotfix 4787(Fix for deleting unused log4j modules) includes in the release 11.24.32 and wondering if this particular maintenance release can remove all 1.x references ?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/assets/service_pack/updates/11_24_34.htm

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@DanC , the public release you want is 11.24.34.  Will remove all v1 copies and upgrade them to 2.17.x.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi!

We’re currently running 11.24.34 on our Commcell server, but the security scan (Nessus) claims that the c:\program files\commvault\Simpana\Apache\bin\vnaweb.war file is still affected, and that the installed version is 1.2.17.

Also when i check in the filesystem, that file has a date modified of “22.06.2016”, so does seems to be quite old.

So, is this a faulty detection by the security scan, or some file that has snuck past the 11.24.34 update that as far as i understood it should have fixed/removed any Log4J vulnerabilities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Bjorn M , if you are on 11.24.34 and still seeing older versions, open a support case and have them take a look.  Best to have a detailed set of eyes to see what happened.

Badge +2

Hi Team,

I can see 11.24.34 MR is not available for download, now its showing MR38 available. Does MR 38 will also include the Log4J 1.X fixes ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Team,

I can see 11.24.34 MR is not available for download, now its showing MR38 available. Does MR 38 will also include the Log4J 1.X fixes ? 

Yup!  11.24.34 or higher.

Badge

Hi All,

We have a number of cells running the detailed MR’s 11.24.34 and 11.26.8 and they are still flagging 1.x being present. 2 of the folders containing the vulnerabilities are:

cvfailover folder and cvanalytics folder

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ziggy_81 , if you’re still seeing remaining 1.x versions, call Customer Support.

Best to have them see what happened.

Badge +5

I am also having the same problem which @Ziggy_81 reported with MR24.38, raised case with support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @Shahzeb !

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi,

we have customer that is using the Private Metric Server and that is still using the 2.0 Version of the log4j, the version 2.17.2 is also installed, but we can’t manually remove the 2.0 version, without breaking the Metrics server.

Customer is on 11.25.25, should we create an support ticket or is there a fix already in the making?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ADN GMBH , make a ticket for this.  

Overall, if anyone finds older versions even after applying the later Maintenance Release version, open a case to investigate.

Badge +2

Is the Log4j Affected Servers report still available?  I’m unable to find it in the Commvault Store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is the Log4j Affected Servers report still available?  I’m unable to find it in the Commvault Store.

Hey @askesi,

Looks like its no longer available as the fixes have been out for some time, and many of the affected releases are no longer supported. I might be able to track down a copy for you but it may not work on the latest releases. Let me take a look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Here you go 👍