Solved

Media Agent Migration

• 23 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello,
I am migrating a few media agents due to hw refresh and in the past I’ve done this manually successfully. 

Lately this is more problematic with the lockdown thats done on the indexcache directory created at installation. In the documentation it still says to copy the index cache from old to new media agent, but I havent been success in copying to the correct directory due to it is write protected. I’ve had do copy it to another directory.

I did see that there is an app for the move but when I tried it the gui kind of failed so I didn’t finish with it.

Is there a new “proper” way of manually copying the Index Cache from old media agent to new?

We are on 1123E if that matters
Link to documentation: Migrating to the New MediaAgent Using Manual Operations (commvault.com) 

Best

//Henke

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 24 January 2024, 19:08

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

You should just be able to shut down services and copy it over, I don’t think there’s any other way

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@Hyder When I tried it, it’s just saying disk write protected if I recall correctly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Henke 

This is because of Ransomware Protection. After Sp26 we started protecting the Index Cache and DDB with Ransomware Protection along with the mount paths. Turning off Ransomware Protection should allow you to copy the contents. 

It is also not 100% required to copy the contents. When the index is required for a job we will check the cache for it. If it’s not in the cache we will restore it from the Index Backups.

Thank you,
Collin