ora RAC - The "Data Threshold streams" value cannot be increased to 3

• 31 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello community 

Oracle RAC :  (v19) 

CV: V11.28

RAC has been set up with a configuration involving 2 nodes. The installation and configuration of the RAC setup in Commvault were completed yesterday.

issue:  Can’t raise the "Log Threshold streams" value beyond 1.

Within the Commvault log's "Backup" tab, 'number of archive Log backup stream: 3'  set for each of the nodes.

I'm attempting to modify the "Log Threshold streams" value, aiming to raise it from 1 to 3. but, whenever I navigate away from the field or confirm the change by clicking "OK," the change is not retained. Instead, the value reverts back to the original setting of 1.

I've reviewed the settings of other existing Oracle RAC configurations involving two nodes. In those cases, there are two archive backup streams allocated for each node, and the "Log Threshold streams" value is adjustable up to 4.

thanks

icon

Best answer by Gowri Shankar 31 August 2023, 21:18

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @DanC 

The no. of streams you send in the below section are the total number of streams the backup will use

If the steams are set to 3 and if the threshold is set to 3 and if the backup is initiated, the backup will wait until there are 3 free device streams available before the backup starts.

Setting the threshold to 1 would start the backup as soon as there is a free device streams and it will start reserving other devices as soon as they are available and allocate additional channels / streams.

Would recommend to leave the threshold to 1 so the backup starts as soon as a device stream is available.

Is there any specific reason or requirement you would like to increase the threshold.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

thanks @Gowri Shankar 

1. Our objective is to ensure that backups utilize the maximum number of streams during each run, thus achieving the most efficient completion time.
  2. Apart from backups, what other processes make use of these streams? (is there a way we can check the total stream/channel being used versus avail streams/channels)
  3. Why am I unable to manually increase the "Log Threshold streams" value beyond 1 or it doesn’t accept/save the new value?
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

The streams defined in the sub-client are used only for the backup purpose. 

I have not run into this behavior, would recommend to open a support incident and will have someone review it further for you and provide you with the findings

Regards,

Gowri Shankar 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

thanks @Gowri Shankar