Skip to main content

I have a user that has replaced a Linux client computer in Commvault with a new upgraded computer with the same name. I need to be able to restore backups from the original client to the new client but I can’t get the new client to show up in Commvault. When I try to bring it in I get the error “ Failed to get preimagemode xml file from client. Any ideas how to get past this error?

Hello @denant81 

Commvault are going to use Hostname and IP address to note a computer in your environment. If you take a machine offline and then stand up a new one with the same hostname/IP Commvault will think it is the same computer. 

With us thinking it is the same machine we will also think that it is going to have the same certificate and other things that should be consistent but are no longer as the machine is fresh. 

You may need to issue a new TEMP certificate onto the machine to get it to authenticate back to the CS correctly: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/creating_temporary_certificate_for_client_installation_02.html

NOTE: starting at step 4 for the above. 

If this does not work then a support ticket would be the next step to fix your issue as there most likely is a specific problem that a session will be needed to identify. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Are you doing a decouple install from the CommServe or something? 

Whenever you replace a machine you want to uninstall commvault from the original machine or at least stop the CV services and never turn them on again.

For a remote install, first choose the uninstall option in the GUI making sure to choose the option to uninstall even if you can’t communicate to the machine if an uninstall wasn’t first done locally. Then you can push the installation because you’ll get the credentials option again.

For a local install take note of the client\hostname in the GUI, use the ‘edit’ option if you need to change them. Do the installation making sure to match both fields. 

Once the install has completed for both options, everything associated to the old machine will be there for the new one.