Question

S3 cross region replication

• 31 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

anyone use S3 CRR to replication commvault backup image to remote site? want to understand how to do recovery in remote site since to metadata for the remote S3 bucket

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @xiwen 

Thanks for reaching out for confirmation.

You can follow the documentation below to configure replication for cloud storage:
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/9279_configuring_replication_for_cloud_storage.html

Kind regards,

Scott.

Badge +8

@Scott H 

Thanks for your quick reply.

When we suffer DR event, we lost source MA and S3 bucket, only have S3 bucket in remote site which S3 CRR target. After I rebuild CV server in target region and reconfigure S3 bucket (read only), may I restore data?

My concern: S3 CRR replicate data, no DDB and Index update on Commvault server, how Commvault server know which data on target S3 bucket for restore?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @xiwen,

Both DDBs and indexes are automatically protected to your primary storage target. If you are using the vendor to blind copy the data from one location to another, the DDB/Index backup jobs should go along with it. When you configure a replica path, commvault should be able to access the replicated library for the DDB and Index backup jobs.

On a side note - unlike other products, Deduplicaiton databases are never needed for restore with Commvault - so you never have to worry about trying to recover a DDB to perform restores. The are only needed for data aging and obviously reducing data footprint on new backups. Similarly DDBs can also be fully reconstructed from the backup data if needed - it just takes longer to do.