Solved

Upgrade from Commvault 11.25 to 11.32 

• 20 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hello,

We would like to upgrade our CommVault installation 11.25 to latest 11.32 release.

1. Is it possible to make a direct upgrade ? 
  2. When i try to download the software from GUI Console, the latest feature release that can i choose is 11.26 ? I cannot choose 11.32 in the list. What can i do to obtain the latest release from Gui commvault console ? 
  3. Is it necessary to upgrade to 11.26 and after to 11.32 ? 
  4. We use SQL Server 2016, is there an automatic ugrade to SQL 2019 including in the 11.32 installer ? 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 21 December 2023, 02:08

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@L.Schmitz 

1. I believe it should be possible to do a direct upgrade. 

2. I would expect you to be able to select FR32, alternative option is to go to support.commvault.com > download & packages > 

Once downloaded, copy the software to the cache and run an update software when ready (or just run the setup.exe)

3. I don’t see this mentioned as a requirement anywhere, as per: https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/planning_platform_release_installations.html it only mentions a requirement to updating to FR26 prior for earlier releases -

a. If the CommServe server is at Service Pack 13 or a previous service pack, and you want to update it to Commvault Platform Release 2022E or a more recent platform release, you must first update it to Feature Release 11.24 or Feature Release 11.26.

b. If the CommServe server is at Service Pack 16 or a previous service pack, and you want to update it to Commvault Platform Release 2023 or a more recent platform release, you must first update the CommServe server to Platform Release 2022E.

4. Yes, you can choose to upgrade SQL as part of the feature release update to FR32 

If you wanted to get to the bottom of this officially, you’d be best advised to raise a case with support to confirm why FR32 isn’t showing as an option in the console for FR25. 

Based on my experience, it’s likely a requirement to go to FR26 we just haven’t documented it. You could try applying FR26 then seeing if FR32 then becomes available? 

If you aren’t bothered to raise a case, then you can download the software manually, run the setup.exe and then follow the prompts (once completed, the software cache will be updated with FR32 media)

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/installing_platform_release_locally_on_windows_computers_using_installation_package.html

Before going to FR32, please ensure you’ve read the system requirements as a lot of third party components are now deprecated (e.g. windows 2012 / r2 and various versions of .NET).

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/changes_in_commvault_platform_release_2023e.html

If you end up raising a case, let me know the ticket # and I can track to keep this thread updated.

Regards,

Chris