Question

Client Side Deduplication and migrate hardware on servers

• 2 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Team,

We have physical servers distributed across the globe, interconnected through our MPLS network. These servers are has the File System Core agent installed.

The configuration on the agents is as follows:

For our initial backup, we performed in the past a full copy against our mediaservers located at headquarters. However, to optimize data transfer and bandwidth, subsequent copies consist of a combination of incremental and synthetic copies.

Periodically, every X years, we need to refresh the hardware on these servers due EOS. Our standard procedure involves migrating data from the existing server to the new one. Once the data migration is complete, we shutdown the current server and rename the new server to match the hostname and IP address of the old one.

Before shutting down the current server, I follow these steps:

1. Stop Commvault services on the current server.
  2. Copy the “Client Side Deduplication Database” - C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\iDataAgent\JobResults\CV_CLDB  to a temporary directory on the new server:
  3. Restart Commvault services.
  4. Execute a "Retire Client" operation on Commvault to uninstall the client.
  5. Once copied data between servers, shutdown the current server and renaming process on the new one.
  6. Install the File System Core Agent on the new server.
  7. Stop Commvault services on the new server.
  8. Copy the "JobResults\CV_CLDB" folder from the old server to the corresponding path on the new server.
  9. Restart services.
  10. Run a incremental copy

However, the incremental copy is not working as I expected. The incremental copy start checking all signatures and a “rebaselining is performed. And now, due to changes in our network, we can't afford to launch a full copy,

This steps:  copying the deduplication client database to the new server worked me in the past and now I don't know if I am doing something wrong (¿maybe step 4?), or if something has changed in Commvault.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Jla,

Copying the the folder “CV_CLDB” will only help if the client is same, here since we have a different client setup, it will not work   (There will be difference in data backed up by previous client and the new client. Also when a new client is created a full backup is a must). CV_CLDB contents will be recreated on the subsequent backups .

Currently you will have to wait for the backups to complete for a couple of days and the CV_CLDB contents will be recated.