Solved

Data verification on Tape backup

Badge +5

Dear Team,

We have recently deployed a Tape library and configured secondary backup copies to tape. Now, we need to validate whether all backed-up copies onto tape are valid as part of the data integrity check.

What options are available to verify that the data available on tape is valid? Additionally, if ransomware affects my entire COMM server and Media agent, how can we recover using tape copies?

Regards,

ManiD 

icon

Best answer by ManiD 13 March 2024, 06:33

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @ManiD 

You can refer to below documments for Data Verificatrion:

Data Verification (commvault.com)

Getting Started with Data Verification (commvault.com)

Additionally, if ransomware affects my entire COMM server and Media agent, how can we recover using tape copies?

=> Is this case we will have to recover from CSDB and then restore data from Tapes.

=> You can refer to the below document for more details

CommServe Recovery Using Disaster Recovery (DR) Backups (commvault.com)

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

Dear @SMD, Thanks for sharing the documents.

I will enable and schedule data verification for each copy. What is the best practice: daily, weekly, or monthly scheduling? Additionally, what are the benefits of performing data verification jobs?

Regards,

ManiD

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @ManiD ,

Data verification helps to validate and check data integrity once it is written to media.

To run it your call, defult schedule runs every day.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

Dear @SMD,

I have enabled data verification for all copies associated with the storage policy. After manually initiating a Run data verification process on the storage policy and completing the verification jobs, I observed the data verification status on each copy and the date of the last verification.

Do we need to schedule daily data verification for upcoming backup copies, or will data verification automatically occur alongside the backup process?

What is the best practice for managing the expiration of data verification? Thank you.

Regards,

ManiD

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @ManiD ,

Do we need to schedule daily data verification for upcoming backup copies, or will data verification automatically occur alongside the backup process?

=> Data Verification will run automatically based on the schedule

What is the best practice for managing the expiration of data verification ?

=> Data Verification status does not expire.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

Dear @SMD

=> Data Verification will run automatically based on the schedule. 

While creating a data verification job from the storage policy level, there is an option to schedule it and provide frequency details and policy name. However, I am unable to find the one which I was was created. Is it possible to have multiple storage policies data verification job with a single schedule policy?

Regards

ManiD

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @ManiD ,

is it possible to have multiple storage policies data verification job with a single schedule policy?

=> Yes it is possible, we need to associate it

Also, it is possible to have multiple shedules for a Storage Policy.

Regards,

Suleamn 

Badge +5

Dear @SMD,

1. I have created a data verification schedule policy, but I am unable to find the one which I created.
  2. Also, the primary backup is running full backups on Wednesday and Friday, and incremental backups on the other days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday). My requirement is for full backups to be taped: Wednesday's backup to one tape and Friday's backup to another tape.

Could you please assist me with this.

Regards,

ManiD

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @ManiD ,

=> Newly created Schedule will have a name and hence I cannot help you. you will have to filter schedule by type and then check associations.

Also, the primary backup is running full backups on Wednesday and Friday, and incremental backups on the other days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday). My requirement is for full backups to be taped: Wednesday's backup to one tape and Friday's backup to another tape.

=> then you will have to create 2 selective copies one with option “weekly full | First full backup” and another with option “weekly full | Last full backup” 

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

Dear @SMD , thank you so much for your support.