Question

Deduplication on source file

• 9 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello,

customer wants to use a storage system with native deduplication option for file services. Are there any known issues in backing up and restoring the system with NAS/NDMP? Or is it useful not to use the storage deduplication?

Thanks and regards,

Thomas

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @ThomasG 

As a Commvault employee i will always advocate the use of a Commvault feature and not a 3rd party one. 

That being said we read and writing the data, no matter how efficient the hardware deduplication is we are always going to be more effective as we have more information to work with and fine tune as we are involved the entire process. 

At the end of the day, it is your choice and Commvault is an application. If you do storage level deduplicate we have no understanding or visibility of what is happening, All we know as an application is that we wrote data in X location and will try to read it from there. Its up to the storage to make sure that can occur and if it has issues or errors we cannot assist you from a support side of thing. 

Hope this helps you make an informed decision and answers your question's.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello Albert,

Thank you for your answer. I agree that we should use Commvault deduplication only on a backup storage. My question was, if there are any known issues on backup and restore when we use storage deduplication on a filer that we backup with the NAS/NDMP client.

Regards,

Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @ThomasG 

I am not aware of any known issues but if you choose to use a Dedup storage instead of Commvault Dedup the lengths support can assist you is limited if read or data availability errors occur. 

Lots of customers use storage level dedup without issue i have seen in the past. Its your call in what solution you want to use. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams