Question

Intellisnap Copy to Tape

• 6 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

We are fairly new to Commvault and trying to find ways to speed up and streamline our backups. Using our Quantum DXi appliances for primary hasn’t worked out the way we hoped.  We are looking into using Intellisnap on our Pure flash arrays.  Here’s what we would like to do:

• Create a snap on the primary Pure array
  • Create a secondary snap replica to an offsite array
  • Use the secondary snap replica as a source to backup to Quantum disk and to tape

I have a few questions:

1. When I create a new storage policy, it creates a “primary copy” and then I create a “primary snap copy”.  I can’t get rid of the primary copy.  What is the primary copy’s function in an Intellisnap situation?  Can I just ignore it?
  2. We are then creating a secondary snap replica to another offsite Pure array. Can I use that replica copy as a source for copying to tape or another disk?  It doesn’t look like that’s an option when I create an auxiliary copy.

We are running 11.32 FYI.

Thanks

1 reply

Badge +3

Hello Darin,

Here are the answers to your question:  

1. When I create a new storage policy, it creates a “primary copy” and then I create a “primary snap copy”.  I can’t get rid of the primary copy.  What is the primary copy’s function in an Intellisnap situation?  Can I just ignore it?
-> The primary snapshot copy contains the metadata information that is associated with the snapshot backups.
Primary Backup copy operations copy the data from the primary snapshot to the media that is associated with the primary copy i.e either Tape or another disk. 

2. We are then creating a secondary snap replica to another offsite Pure array. Can I use that replica copy as a source for copying to tape or another disk?  It doesn’t look like that’s an option when I create an auxiliary copy.
-> Yes you can use the replica copy as a source for copying the data to Tape or another disk i.e to copying to your Primary backup copy.

Here is the copy precedence sequence:

1. Primary Snap
2. Secondary Snap Copy
3. Primary backup copy ( Secondary Snap copy as a source).

You can modify the source snap copy in the storage policy properties:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/storage_policy_snapshot.html

• Source Snap Copy

Select this box to specify the source copy for IntelliSnap operations.

Feel free if any queries.

Regards,

Swati Himmatramka