Solved

When you already have a Linux FREL you can't deploy a new one?

• 14 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

We have had a EL7 File Recovery Enabler for Linux (FREL) for 4 years now. I believe when it was initially deployed we were on V11, Service Pack (before you called them Feature Releases) 13.

But now we’re starting to move to EL8 VMs so after coming across this issue with our couple of backed up EL8 VMs, I figured it was time to deploy a new FREL for EL8.

However, in my admin console, because we already have an existing FREL, “linuxrestore” my options for step 5 in your instructions where I should be seeing a “deploy new FREL VM” option, simply doesn’t exist. I can either choose my existing linuxrestore FREL, or “not set”.

What am I supposed to do in this situation?

icon

Best answer by ZachHeise 17 February 2022, 21:34

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I should note that we’re only on 11.25 right now, whereas those documents are for 11.26. Was the ability to do the deployment via the comcell admin console only added in 11.26? I guess I’m not seeing a similar page in the 11.25 docs. If our only option is to do an offline install like your video from 2020 describes, just let me know.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi! Try with this additional setting: enableFRELDeploy

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Thank you, @euMike . Adding that boolean did allow me to get started! I think I set everything properly but when I finish and it actually tries to deploy the VM, I get the following error:

Error Code: [19:1618]
Description: Virtual Machine Management job has failed. Failure Reason:[Unable to find Datastore:[DatastoreCluster] on host [domain-c20]]
Source: commserve, Process: VMManagement

My domain is definitely not named ‘domain-c20’ so I’m not sure where it’s getting that from. Our datastore we have connected to VMware is indeed named ‘datastorecluster’ though, so that’s accurate.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Answer from Commvault paid support: no, you can’t use the 11.26 instructions for 11.25. “  In SP26 we added support to deploy OVA via Command center.  Please follow Sp25 deployment guide. “

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the update, @ZachHeise !  I moved the Best Answer accordingly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

FWIW - after upgrading to 11.26 we got the exact same error. What actually ended up solving the issue with those [domain-c20] errors - for us - was that Commvault as of this moment does not support deploying OVA FREL files to a VMware datastore cluster - which I was doing - you have to pick a datastore. Commvault paid support has told me that developers have been made aware of this and the problem will be patched.

Badge

@euMike Where do you go to make this configuration change? We are having this same issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Steve McKinney that’s an additional setting:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/8677_additional_settings_overview.html

The above link provides an overview and instructions on how to apply them.

The best part is that since it is all done through the GUI, any CS rebuild+ DR restore will retain them (as opposed to old school registry keys).